Thursday, August 23, 2007

Salsa

I originally got this recipe from my Jaysen's mom, who got it from her sister-in-law (Jaysen's aunt) who is from Mexico. Did you get all that? ;0) But, I tweaked it a little bit, and found that I like the flavor a lot more. Let me know what you think!


4 medium tomatoes
1 jalapeno
minced garlic
handful cilantro
2 limes
1 can Rotel
1 can Mexican Stewed Tomatoes
1/2 onion
salt

In frying pan, pour enough olive oil in to cover bottom. Heat on med/low. Add a spoonful of minced garlic.

Meanwhile, quarter tomatoes and cut jalapeno in half removing seeds from inside. Add these to frying pan. Fry until just heated through to inject the garlic flavor into the tomatoes. Remove from heat and pour all (including oil) into blender. Add handful of cilantro, juice from two limes, Rotel, Stewed Tomatoes, and onion to blender. Blend until all ingredients have been chopped up. This is usually where I do a taste test to see just how much salt I need to add. Sometimes, it's a lot, other times, not so much. So, salt to taste. ;0)

Ashlee side note: Jaysen LOVES this salsa. Which is why I had to have his mom come over and show me how to make it. ;0) He likes his SPICY though. So, here a few tips if you are the same.
There are three different kinds of Rotel you can use in this recipe. Mild, Original, and HOT! So, if you like it hot...I would suggest using that version instead. I usually just buy the original to keep on hand. Not everyone wants to burn up their esophogas! ;0) So, after I'm done making the salsa, I remove half of it for the sane individuals, and then add another jalapeno to the blender and blend it in.
My family loves this stuff! It gets eaten up quickly when we all get together. And I know that the Burnham's love it just as much!

No comments: