Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Pappy's Fajitas Seasonings

I don't know if this is really a "recipe" but I'm posting it anyway. Because of Jaysen's LOVE for all foods Mexican I try to find new recipes to try out that will perk up his tastebuds. After eating over at a friends' house in December where they served a nacho/taco bar using shredded beef instead of ground beef, he wanted me to do the same. Except I was put to the test to find a different seasoning for the meat. The seasoning they used wasn't bad, it just didn't have the "kick" he was looking for apparently. :0)
This is what I found.

I found it on the spice aisle at WinCo. Nowhere fancy. What I really liked about it was this....No MSG, No Preservatives. Just spices. Good stuff.

Anyway...to make our "fancy" shredded beef tacos you'll need the following:

  1. Pappy's Fajitas Seasoning
  2. A beef roast...small enough to fit inside whatever size of crock pot you've got.
  3. If you don't have a crock pot, you'll need one of those too.

Here's how to do it:

Plug in the crock pot. :0) Put a small amount of water in the bottom of crock pot. {Just to make sure nothing burns. The roast will create liquid of it's own while cooking, so it doesn't need to be tons.} Place roast in crock pot. Sprinkle generously with Pappy's Fajitas Seasoning making sure to cover both sides. Turn crock pot to low and cook for about 8 hours or so. {If you don't have that much time, turn it to high and cook till done} About 4 hours into it, I flip over the roast. That way one side doesn't get more moist than the other sitting in all the now juicy water. Then, about 6 hours into it, I put more seasoning on the meat...both sides. Mmmmmm....your house should smell really good at this point.

Once the meat is done, remove from crock pot and let cool for about 5 minutes to let the juices settle. Then, using two forks, shred meat into VERY small chunks.

You now have yummy Shredded Taco Meat. Jaysen enjoys this so much I now have to cook it monthly. I'm not kidding either. I don't mind. It's yummy.

I used this seasoning for my regular ground turkey tacos last night and it was really good too. Just add 1/3 cup of water to the meat before adding the seasoning. It's my new favorite.

3 comments:

Alicia said...

That sounds really good, in fact I want some right now, but alas it is 6:15 and we have already eaten, oh ya and I don't have the right seasoning, I will have to get some of that.

Montay said...

Yummy I will have to try that is the "pappys " expensive? I love shedded beef tacos and can never find the right spice..

Ashlee said...

Pappy's is not too expensive. And I've used it three times now and still have more than half the bottle left. So, it'll last for a while.