Sunday, November 23, 2008

Cakey Chocolate Chip Cookies

People! This is it! This is the one that has saved me! These are chocolate chip cookies that are actually GOOD for you. Sure, you still have to practice moderation, but the nutrition info on these babies makes me so happy. :0)

1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup butter softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
8 oz. (1 cup) plain fat free yogurt
1/2 cup Egg Beaters
2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/2 cups mini semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Put oats in a shallow baking pan and bake 10 minutes. Place oats in a blender and blend until ground into a powder. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with mixer for 30 seconds. Add brown sugar, baking soda, and salt; beat until combined. Beat in yogurt, eggs, and vanilla until combined. Mix in flour. Then, using a wooden spoon, stir in the oats and chocolate chips.
Drop dough by rounded tsp. 2 inches apart on cookie sheet and bake for 9-11 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Nutrition facts per cookie:
82 calories, 3 g total fat, 12 mg cholesterol, 54 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrates, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.

Ashlee side note: Ok, so if you're not wanting to go ALL the way healthy on these, you can use regular flour and use 2 eggs instead of the egg beaters. I made them with whole wheat flour and the egg beaters and they were a hit. Nobody knew they were whole wheat. :0) Tee hee...I snuck it in on them. I use the egg beaters because they are none of the fat, but all of the protein and are made from real eggs. Essentially eggs whites, but I don't have to throw away the yolk. :0) Oh! And I made these into cookie bars like I usually do out of laziness and they turned out great. I put them in a 9x13 pan, but don't remember how long I cooked them for. I just kept an eye on them and took them out when they started turning golden on the outside edge. They still look doughy in the middle, but after cooling are just perfectly moist and yummy.

No comments: