Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Cabbage Buns

I just got asked for this recipe, so I thought I'd pass it on to the rest of you. We grew up eating these babies. I'd totally make them if I knew my kid wouldn't freak out over the cabbage. Sigh.

1 head of cabbage, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 pound ground beef or turkey
salt and pepper
bread dough

Brown ground beef and onion. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add chopped cabbage and continue to saute. Cook until cabbage is soft.
Divide bread dough into small amounts and roll out. Put cabbage mix in center and pinch together dough on top. Will resemble a hot pocket. Bake on greased baking pan at 350 degrees until golden brown {about 20-25 minutes}.

Ashlee side note: It's like a stuffed burger. All the stuff on the inside of an enclosed round bun. Heck, you could even add cheese in there if you'd like to. We never did though. It's perfect as is. Promise. My sister just makes up the bread dough in her bread machine, but if you are short on time, just use a couple cans of those refrigerator biscuits. flatten each biscuit out, put some filling on top of one, and then put another one on top of that. Pinch the sides together to make your "hot pocket". I'd bake these according to the can directions though. Usually about 11 minutes, and then check on them until they become golden brown.
And...I know this may sound wierd, but I remember eating these with soy sauce. Added a nice salty/chinese flavor to it. Just a thought.....